MAGNETIC RESONANCE MATERIALS IN PHYSICS, BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE
MAGMA is the Official Journal of the European Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and Biology (ESMRMB).
Publishing in MAGMA helps support ESMRMB!
MAGMA is a multidisciplinary international journal devoted to the publication of articles on all aspects of magnetic resonance techniques and their applications in medicine and biology.
MAGMA currently publishes research papers, reviews, letters to the editor, and commentaries, six times a year. The subject areas covered by MAGMA include:
- advances in materials, hardware and software in magnetic resonance technology,
- new developments and results in research and practical applications of magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy related to biology and medicine,
- study of animal models and intact cells using magnetic resonance,
- clinical application of MRI-based techniques with a methodological emphasis.
Editor-in-Chief: David Norris
Impact Factor (released June 2023): 2,3
For more information about MAGMA journal, please access this link to MAGMA Springer website.
Magma is a hybrid transformative journal. Magma has an impressive 30-day turnaround between submission and first decision. Accepted articles are published online first. All articles are assigned to topic collections of similar articles.
In addition to regular issues, the journal also publishes special issues, currently two per year. For all information on current and past special issues please visit
Here you can find all current calls for papers:
- CALL FOR PAPERS – Special Special Issue on “Reproducibility and Quality Assurance”
- Deadline: October 1, 2024
- CALL FOR PAPERS – Special “MRI Together” Issue on Open Science
- Deadline: December 1, 2024
POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR EARLY CAREER RESEARCHERS AS A GUEST EDITOR ON A MAGMA SPECIAL ISSUE IN 2025
On the following topics:
- Reproducibility and Quality Assurance (coordinated by Dr. Tony Stoecker)
- Open Science (coordinated by Dr. Francesco Santini)
Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine (MAGMA) is offering two guest editorial opportunities for Early Career Researchers (ECRs).
The positions are aimed to provide ECRs with the opportunity to gain insights into the editorial process including handling submissions, inviting reviewers, reviewing manuscripts, and making a recommendation and editorial decision with the help of the other guest editors and editor-in-chief of MAGMA, David Norris. In particular, this position provides an opportunity to learn about research that contributes to scientific progress in certain topics of interest (i.e. “Special Issues”). Previously published Special Issues can be found at (https://www.springer.com/journal/10334/updates/17175718). Both positions are for the duration of one year, starting at the end of 2024.
Interested candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Association with ESMRMB (by membership, having attended conferences or workshops, etc)
- Affinity with and knowledge in the field of the special issue, e.g. publications, invited talks, open code repositories.
- Served as a peer reviewer for a journal
To apply, candidates are asked to provide the following by 1st March 2024 23:59 CET:
- Updated C.V.
- Short motivation letter describing why you are suited, and what you will gain from this experience.
Please send the PDF documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org